You need to build a System preference panel extension for your app but you’re unable to debug it from XCode due to Apple System Integrity lock?
Let’s see how!
But how to debug this extension?
Latest macOS block the execution or the debug of all system application. Now all apps are signed and if you try to attach a debugger you’ll receive this error:
Message from debugger: cannot attach to process due to System Integrity Protection
To avoid this kind of error, I suggest a simple trick. Use it only for debugging your plugin.
- Go in /Applications and duplicate the “System Preferences.app”.
- Rename it to “SystemPreferences_nosign.app”
- Open terminal, go to the Application folder and use:
$ codesign -s - -f SystemPreferences_nosign.app
Now in XCode, select as Run Process, your new “nosigned” application. Build and run (debug)!
Latest posts by Alberto Pasca (see all)
- Swift – Simple full screen loader - 11 August 2022
- macOS – Disable microphone while typing - 11 April 2022
- iOS – Secure app sensitive information - 25 March 2022